Is Keeping Bees Legal in Michigan?
Short Answer is Yes!
Michigan is a very beekeeping friendly place to live. Today there are over 90 cities in the United States that have beekeeping bans within city limits. The only city in Michigan with an ordinance that could be interpreted as restricting residents keeping bees is in Detroit. For most of us, Michigan law places no direct limitations on its homeowners and property owners ability to have bees in any urban or rural setting. That is good news for most of our communities!
Unfortunately, Detroit which did not include a provision protecting local residents to have bees in the agricultural ordinance it passed in the spring of 2009. Still Detroit residents could have bees because there is no explicit law outlawing beekeeping, the city’s ban on livestock could be interpreted to include bees. So time will tell if this becomes a hot button issue in othe parts of Michigan.
Michigan does not have a statewide inspection program, and there is no requirement for
Michigan beekeepers to obtain a permit to keep a beehive or harvest honey. It can be inferred that this
lack of regulation is largely the result of the important role honey bees play in pollinating
agricultural crops such as fruits and vegetables. Based on the overview provided in the popular Beekeeping and Apiary Management.
Send your $87.50.00 deposit (for each package being reserved) to our Address with your name and contact informatin. The entire Bee Team look forward to hearing from you. PS. Don't Worry. Bee Ready.
King Nuc FAQs
- Please consider what type of vehicle you will pick up the bees in. There sometimes are hitchhiker bees on the outside of the nuc boxes and a few sometimes find a way outside the box. It might give you concern while driving a car full of bees inside flying about.
- Bees will need cool air because they could very easily overheat in the trunk of your car.
- Please pay when served. Cash is best, checks are acceptable but no credit cards accepted.
- Pickup times are from 7:00AM to 3PM or by special appointment but I might want to go fishing.
- Have your equipment ready. We do not sell bee equipment. Call Mann lake bee supplies they can help and have free shipping. Wish I was getting something for this plug
- Read the free Bee Culture magazine (it’s a courtesy back issue) then subscribe.
- Consider joining a bee club or association.
- Don’t think all you need to do us set up the hive- you also need to learn, & study. Believe it or not the bees don’t do all the work.
- Don’t stop at the shopping mall on the way home. The bees will be waiting to get out of that box.
- Don’t think you will make a lot of money doing this because most don’t.
- It’s up to you and your bees, I can’t make any promises.
- Mite treatment this fall is important especially when you open the hive boxes next spring.
- Simple directions are provided.
- Have fun and enjoy the experience, rinse, repeat